Wednesday, 2020-10-28, 5:45 AM
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Forum » Ideas » Automatic Recipe Combinations (Much more user friendly for both new and old players.)
Automatic Recipe Combinations
p0179417Fecha: Monday, 2017-02-13, 11:47 PM | Mensaje # 1
Private
Group: User
Scurrying around and finding items for recipe combinations is a necessary part of the game but it is something that nobody likes to do. What if you were to click on a recipe and if you have enough gold then the game automatically buys everything and combines it for you?

It is possible, since the map "Battletanks" makes use of this function: https://classic.btanks.net/wordpress/

The recipes might be a bit hard to find but look around the shops in base and you can see them.

It will be a lot of work but if there is something that would help the gameplay experience more than new content or bugfixes then it would be automatic recipe combinations.
KawsFecha: Tuesday, 2017-02-14, 6:47 AM | Mensaje # 2
Sergeant
It would be convenient for solo and pub players, but since this map is so heavy in team play, it would be more of an annoyance to most, since a lot of strategies involve pooling team money towards buying complete items, instead of having each player work individually to buy their stuff.

And it's a lot of work, since he'd have to edit each recipe trigger individually to get that done.

Message edited by Kaws - Tuesday, 2017-02-14, 6:49 AM
KranklafanFecha: Tuesday, 2017-02-14, 8:12 PM | Mensaje # 3
Colonel
Group: Partner

It would be convenient for solo and pub players, but since this map is so
heavy in team play, it would be more of an annoyance to most, since a
lot of strategies involve pooling team money towards buying complete
items, instead of having each player work individually to buy their
stuff.
I dont't see how thats a problem, since a lot of the time you pool in the early game when one individull player will only have the gold for the recipe / parts and therefore wont trigger the all buy mechanism.

But there are a few items where you only need item recipes to combine them (ultiem, diamond , secred gem, emerald, decapitator and  few trick list items from the top of my head ) .

I'd love it if its possible to e.g. fullbuy an item if you shift click or whatever, but i dont think thats doable in wc3.
KarifeanFecha: Tuesday, 2017-02-14, 8:30 PM | Mensaje # 4
Colonel
Group: Partner
Quote Kranklafan ()
I'd love it if its possible to e.g. fullbuy an item if you shift click or whatever, but i dont think thats doable in wc3.
Not quite possible like that, but what would be possible is to make the recipes themselves have an active ability if used in your inventory where, say, if you're near the base fountain you automatically buy all the parts necessary to make the item. Or maybe give Trained Horses an ability of their own that can target items that does the same thing.

That being said the issue remains that it's a pretty crazy amount of work to implement, and while quality of life additions are pretty great to have, I don't expect Inmortal to spend that kind of effort on it.

Edit: On second thought it'd probably be enough to have a map (recipe -> price) and build the item if the player has enough gold... which should not be that hard to implement, though I don't know how Inmortal did the recipes so far.

Message edited by Karifean - Tuesday, 2017-02-14, 8:33 PM
p0179417Fecha: Wednesday, 2017-02-15, 5:55 PM | Mensaje # 5
Private
Quote Kaws ()
It would be convenient for solo and pub players, but since this map is so heavy in team play, it would be more of an annoyance to most, since a lot of strategies involve pooling team money towards buying complete items, instead of having each player work individually to buy their stuff.And it's a lot of work, since he'd have to edit each recipe trigger individually to get that done.

I don't see why you think it would be an annoyance or not-beneficial for experienced players as well. I never said to get rid of the traditional way of buying recipe items. I only suggested to add in the ability to buy everything altogether at once when you click on the recipe and have the required amount of gold. It might be a bit complicated to explain but if you check out the battletanks map then you will understand what I mean.

Quote Kranklafan ()

Do check out the map in the link provided. It is completely possible and has been done before. Better yet, the creators of the map that has htis function implemented provided and non-locked version for people to mess around with so we can use that map to see how the function would work.

Quote Karifean ()
That being said the issue remains that it's a pretty crazy amount of work to implement, and while quality of life additions are pretty great to have, I don't expect Inmortal to spend that kind of effort on it.
I don't know enough about map editor to suggest how much work it is but I do think that it is quite a bit of work. He can see how it works by looking at the unlocked version of the map I provided a link to though. If he wants of course, just a suggestion.

Message edited by p0179417 - Wednesday, 2017-02-15, 5:55 PM
afisFecha: Tuesday, 2017-05-02, 5:10 PM | Mensaje # 6
Private
Quote Karifean ()

The amount of work is significant, but not actually that crazy if all you want is an all-or-nothing upgrade. I would guess 1.5-4 hours
What you would need to do is
1) create a dummy ability (e.g. war stomp with 1 range, 0 mana cost and damage) and place this ability on every recipe in map
2) create a table (2 arrays) listing the recipes on one array and the final results on the other.
3) a way to track the cost of the upgrade- battle-tanks made the hp of each item match its total cost, whch should not be too hard to do since the map likely already tracks its cost under gold cost for selling purposes.
4) make a trigger to check if you have the money needed (hp of final item- hp of recipe), and if so replace the recipe with the item. The trigger could tell which recipe you have by checking the array from (2) in a loop, allowing a single trigger for all the recipes.

caveats:
1) if you change cost of any components you have to remember to adjust cost/hp of final item or it becomes inaccurate
2) This method only goes straight from recipe to end result, it does not check if you have partial components- doing so would become drastically harder to trigger

P.S. I would be happy to assist with actually making the trigger and arrays if Immortal asks, though that would require an unprotected version of game to add dummy ability to all recipes and collect the itemid's

Message edited by afis - Tuesday, 2017-05-02, 5:11 PM
Forum » Forum » Ideas » Automatic Recipe Combinations (Much more user friendly for both new and old players.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: